Friday, September 24, 2010

Taxidermy for Vegetarians




When we were a young family- I a little girl, Grandpa still around, still with his own teeth, we used to get in the car and drive hours to places to eat. One of these magical establishments worth driving all the way, was Roma's Italian on Connecticut Avenue in Bethesda Maryland. Just inside the door stood a Wild Tiger mounted in an erect pouncing stance. The Tiny restaurant was long and narrow, banquet booths flanked a walkway that threaded through. The walls were guilt leather wallpaper, the booths were old black vinyl. Above each table was an old sepia photo of the owner on Safari holding his weapon and animal trophy, above was the animal mount. In the early afternoon a blind woman entered beneath the pouncing tiger and walked down the aisle to an old piano where she would feel her way across the ivory keys and entertain us as we dined in the Taxidermy Menagerie.

The Taxidermy for Vegetarians series has been a precious memory in my head since childhood and in the works for several years. The Animal Mount Pendants are produced in bronze and silver. They are all also produced in pewter pendants and wall sculptures in varying effects. Gazelle Rings are scampering throughout the world on fingers and postcards, with Botswana Agate and Cats Eye Stones. The final piece will be Gazelle earrings with elegant glass drops... about 3 weeks away.

Perfect for anyone without the heart to kill or room to hang the real thing.

1 comment:

  1. I saw your Jewelry at Mimi's Screaming in NYC!
    I loved your sea horse collection!
    I really wanted to get the big sea horse ring there! but they did not have my size, so I hope I get to find it!!!
    In Japanese sea horse is called "a fallen child of a dragon" (if you translate the word directly into English).
    My Chinese Horoscope is Dragon, so I thought it is so cool to have it!! :)



    Yuuka
    http://yuuka-forget-me-not.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...